From a one-man-show in 1996, TFS now employs over 850 professionals across 25 offices and in over 21 countries in three continents.
After working for several years in the clinical research industry, Daniel Spasic recognized the need for a better CRO and customer philosophy that fully embraced his values of trust and transparency. In 1996, he set up the initial structure of TFS from offices in Lund, one of Sweden's leading university cities, and set about recruiting people who shared his values. This ethos ensured that TFS was a company that was more enthusiastic, accessible, and responsive to the needs of its customers. His instincts were correct. Customers responded favorably to a better level of attention, rewarding TFS with several major studies in its first year.
In the mid-90s TFS’ services mainly included planning, development and design of clinical trial related documentation, hence the name “Trial Form Support”. That service line was then gradually transitioned to include clinical trial management and by the late 90s TFS had transformed into a comprehensive full-service clinical Contract Research Organization (CRO) managing all aspects of clinical research.
TFS has mainly grown organically, but it has bolstered its growth through a number of strategic acquisitions that have broadened the service portfolio, therapeutic focus and have added geographical scale to the existing services.
Key TFS Milestones:
- 1996 – TFS is founded in Lund, Sweden, by Mr. Daniel Spasic
- 1997 – TFS is the first CRO in Europe to establish a Functional Service (FSP) business
- 2001 – TFS opens its first ex-Sweden office in Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2003 – TFS establishes its Phase I operations in an exclusive agreement with the Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden, for First-In-Man studies, special patient populations and PET imaging services
- 2004 – TFS Academy conducts its first clinical research education courses
- 2005 – TFS acquires CDC Clinical Data Care and bolsters its capabilities in Regulatory Affairs, Pharmacovigilence and Medical Writing
- 2005 – TFS expands into Spain through the acquisition of Clinical Data Care, Spain
- 2005 – TFS opens its Uxbridge office, UK
- 2007 – TFS opens its Tokyo office, Japan
- 2008 – TFS acquires IMRO-TRAMARKO, the first established CRO in the Netherlands and expands operations to Benelux and Germany
- 2008 – TFS opens its first US office, in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 2008 – TFS is successfully inspected by the Swedish MPA
- 2009 – TFS is successfully inspected by the US FDA
- 2010 – TFS is successfully inspected by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)
- 2011 – TFS is successfully inspected by the UK MHRA
- 2012 – TFS acquires Dimenzione di Ricerca, the first established CRO in Italy
- 2012 – TFS opens its office in Paris, France
- 2013 – TFS acquires Beardsworth Consulting Group in the US, an Oncology and Vaccine niche CRO and expands its US operational capabilities
- 2013 – TFS acquires technology provider from SEMCON in Sweden, providing cost-efficient EDC solution
- 2013 – TFS opens office in Germany
- 2014 – TFS starts operations in Canada
- 2015 – TFS agrees to divest 60%of shares to Ratos
- 2016 - TFS acquires SCIderm a dermatology specialist CRO and expands its German operational capabilities