Ophthalmology Business Unit Expertise
Ana Muñoz Lomas, Executive Director, Head of Ophthalmology
- Over 17 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical and CRO industry.
- Previous roles include Clinical Pharmacicist, Clinical Data Coordinator, Business Development Manager, Business and Contracts Manager, Unit Manager Italy, Sr. Director.
- This role supports the Operational Execution Teams and Business Development with regard to strategically managing effective and efficient clinical trials/programs driving a Global Team with specific regulatory, medical/scientific and operational knowledge in the area of ophthalmology.
- Extensive experience in portfolio management from both an Operational and business finances perspective.
- Country Lead for TFS Italy.
Lynda Cove, EU Operational Strategist and Delivery lead for Ophthalmology
- Over 28 years experience in pharmaceutical and CRO clinical research.
- Previous roles to include outsourcing lead, Clinical project Manager, International Project Leader and Project Director.
- Lynda’s role focuses on defining and implementing strategies to optimize operational delivery, to the highest level, to ensure the client objectives are met and the trial is successfully delivered.
- Strong global ophthalmology network and long standing relationships with clients and vendors.
- Experience in both anterior and posterior segment research indications, specializing in retinal diseases.
- Has overseen the conduct of multiple global ophthalmology programs in many indications ranging in complexity.
- Strong experience in change management of a study with rapid adaptation of growth and expediting of recruitment.
- Head of TFS Covid19 Ramp to Recovery Task Force.
Marcia Swank, NA Operational Strategist and Delivery lead for Ophthalmology
- Over 22 years of optometry and ophthalmology experience (including 19 years within clinical research, and 5 years clinical and surgical experience in parallel).
- Previous roles include a Director of Research leading a seven-site ophthalmic practice and certified ophthalmic assistant, CRA, Clinical Trial Lead, Project Manager, and Project Director. Marcia also previously owned her own SMO.
- Marcia’s role focuses on defining and implementing strategies to optimize operational delivery, to the highest level, to ensure the client objectives are met and the trial is successfully delivered.
- Strong US/Canadian Ophthalmology network and long standing client relationships with clients and vendors.
- Marcia also holds excellent relationships within the US and Canadian ophthalmology network, based on her previous experience in both clinical and project management.
- Experience in both anterior and posterior segment research indications, including stem cell therapy, gene therapy, and other rare diseases. Also, specializing in Corneal diseasesOverseen the conduct of multiple ophthalmology programs in over 25 indications, both pharmaceutical and academic
Anna Leszczynska, Medical Monitor
- Over 10 years’ experience in the management of ophthalmic diseases, in both hospital and clinical settings
- Combined her clinical practice with research on treatment and molecular mechanisms of inflammatory eye and orbit disorders at Hospital Clinic and the University of Barcelona
- Accomplished creator and supervisor of clinical development plans
- Experienced in performing scientific and clinical quality assessment of ophthalmic products for the pharmaceutical industry
- Gained her expertise working as a Clinical Research Physician at Esteve Pharmaceuticals and independent Medical Advisor for Laboratorios Salvat
- M.D. of University Autònoma of Barcelona, and she received her Ph.D. in ophthalmology from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Barcelona
External Medical Expertise
Dr. Kent Wellish
- Considered an expert in the area of ophthalmological research.
- > 30 years of industry experience.
- Clinical trial experience includes programs in various ophthalmological indications such as cataracts; post-surgical pain and inflammation; glaucoma; keratoconus; dry eye and conjunctivitis.
- One of the first surgeons in the world to complete a two-year university fellowship in corneal and laser refractive surgery.
- Being the first surgeon in Nevada to perform laser vision correction (July 1994), Honored twice by the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce and by several members of Congress for his work.
- Nationally honored cataract surgeon who received his doctoral degree from the University of Arizona.
Dr. William L. Haynes
- Specialized in medical, laser and surgical treatments for glaucoma as well as cataract and implant surgery.
- Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Duke University.
- Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and member of the American Glaucoma Society and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
- Assistant Consulting Professor of Ophthalmology at Duke University Eye Center and the Asheville VA Medical Center.
- Named among the Top Doctors in America since 2013 by Best Doctors, Inc., a survey of more than 45,000 doctors in the U.S. who anonymously vote for the Top Doctors in America.
- Professor of Ophthalmology at University of Southampton.
- Specialized in medical retina with major research interests in age-related macular degeneration, central serous chorio-retinopathy and inherited retinal diseases and has performed over 75 clinical trials with his team.
- Recipient of the Nettleship Award for best esearch published by a UK ophthalmologist by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, University Hospital Southampton Innovation and Researcher of the Year awards and Macular Society Award.
- Editor in chief of scientific journal, Eye, for 10 years with over 240 papers in high impact journals including Nature Genetics, Nature Communications, the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Currently Chair of the Scientific Committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and leader of Welcome Trust Collaborative Award assessing the role of artificial intelligence in understanding the aetiology of age-related macular degeneration.
Dr. Kashif Baig
- Cornea, Anterior Segment, and Refractive Surgeon providing tertiary-level care at the University of Ottawa Eye Institute.
- Founder/Medical Director of Precision Cornea Center and Medical Director at Herzig Eye Institute Ottawa, as well as President of the Canadian Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Surgery Society and Executive Director of the Sally Letson Foundation.
- Assistant Professor at the University of Ottawa, Pediatric Cornea Consultant and the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Clinical Investigator in Regenerative Medicine at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and Director of Clinical and Research Fellowships in Cornea, Anterior Segment and Refractive Surgery.
- Completed medical and residency training at McGill University in Montreal and has a Master of Business Administration Degree (specializing in Health Services Management) at McMaster University in Hamilton while completed Fellowship training in the United States.
- Strongly interested in the development and implementation of surgival innovations in corneal and anterior segment surgery.